Naples Nursing Home Lack of Care Attorney
Putting your loved one in a nursing home is a huge decision. There are so many nursing home facilities and you want to choose the right one. You want the one who will take the best care of your family member.
This is important. There are thousands of nursing homes with complaints and issues. Many of these issues have to do with poor care. Staffing is often inadequate as nursing homes pinch pennies and focus on profits.
A lack of care can have far-reaching consequences. This is especially true for senior citizens, who are often immobile or suffering from dementia and other cognitive disorders. Neglect can mean life-threatening injuries, serious medical conditions, and even death.
Has your loved one been a victim of neglect? If so, speak to a lawyer at Kohn Law. We can answer your questions and protect your legal rights. Contact a Naples nursing home lack of care attorney today to understand your legal options.
Types of Neglect
Neglect in a nursing home environment can happen in many forms, including:
- This involves leaving a resident with mobility issues alone for hours at a time. In some cases, nursing homes will kick out residents entirely. This happened multiple times during the COVID pandemic.
- Neglect of basic needs. People have the right to food and shelter, so when a resident’s basic needs are neglected, it means that they are not given enough food or water or a clean and safe environment.
- Neglect of personal hygiene. Residents have a right to basic hygiene. Not changing a resident’s clothes or bedding regularly and not cleaning a resident on a daily basis are examples of neglect.
- Medical neglect. This refers to staff not treating a resident’s injuries or illnesses, such as bed sores and infections. It can also mean not calling a doctor or nurse when needed.
- Social and emotional neglect. Not many people think about this type of neglect, but it happens. This may involve keeping a nursing home resident alone for a long period of time or not letting them interact with other residents. Those with physical or mental disabilities face a higher risk of social neglect, as they rely more on caregivers to help them move around.
Consequences of Lack of Care
Lack of care, or neglect, is a serious issue. Even one mistake can lead to serious health effects, including:
- Bed sores
- Broken bones
- Weight loss
Contact Kohn Law Today
Nursing home residents and their family members should never have to worry about a lack of care. Residents are paying for and expecting the best care possible, so staff members need to ensure they are providing adequate care.
When a nursing home neglects your loved one, don’t ignore it. Seek legal help from Kohn Law and learn more about your options. Schedule a consultation with a Naples nursing home lack of care attorney today by calling (813) 428-8504 or filling out the online form.