Bradenton Unexplained Injuries Attorney
Many family members are hesitant or unsure how to react when a loved one sustains unexplained injuries in a Florida nursing home, especially since the resident may be aging, suffering from a medical condition, or otherwise vulnerable. However, statistics from the National Council on Elder Abuse (NCEA) prove that you are right to be concerned about unusual bodily harm. In a comprehensive study, researchers found that 1 in 10 individuals had suffered some form of abuse. It is horrifying to find that physical violence, sexual assault, or neglect could be the cause of your loved one’s unexplained injuries.
It is understandable that you are outraged under such circumstances, but it is also important to realize that you may be in the best position to take legal action on behalf of your loved one. Our lawyers at Kohn Law can explain your remedies, which may include recovering monetary damages. Please contact us to set up a no-cost consultation with a Bradenton unexplained injuries attorney, and check out some general information about the laws.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse That Cause Unexplained Injuries
The forms of physical harm to a resident are directly linked to the misconduct he or she experienced, which may be:
- Physical Abuse: Unexplained injuries include broken bones, bruises, or lacerations.
- Sexual Assault: The most common injuries include trauma around the genitals and sexually transmitted diseases.
- Improper Use of Restraints: Nursing homes are only allowed to use physical restraints under limited circumstances, so bruising and strap marks around the wrists and ankles is cause of concern.
- Emotional Mistreatment: A resident may not exhibit visible harm, but unexplained injuries may include depression, mood swings, unusual outbursts, or becoming withdrawn.
- Neglect: Bedsores, malnutrition, dehydration, and urinary tract infections (UTI) are common when an assisted living facility’s services fall below the standard of care.
What To Do About Unexplained Injuries
Your first priority should be getting your loved one to safety and notifying Florida authorities. Then, the next step is reaching out to our Bradenton unexplained injuries lawyers at Kohn Law for assistance with the legal process. We start by investigating and gather evidence regarding the circumstances surrounding the resident’s injuries. This information will be useful when engaging in negotiations in an attempt to settle your claim with the nursing home.
If the assisted living center refuses to pay a fair amount of compensation, our team will take the case to court. To ensure you obtain monetary damages for medical costs, pain and suffering, and other losses, we will:
- Draft and file documents to initiate litigation;
- Attend motion hearings and other court appearances;
- Conduct discovery and depositions; and
- Represent you and your loved one at trial.
Count on Our Bradenton Unexplained Injuries Attorneys for Legal Help
If your loved one was hurt for unknown reasons in an assisted living facility, please contact Kohn Law right away to schedule a free case assessment. After learning more about your situation, our Bradenton unexplained injuries lawyers can advise you on your options and guide you through the legal process.