Bradenton Nursing Home Lack of Care Attorney
While researchers can agree that negligence in nursing homes is a serious problem and a form of abuse, the data is not clear on the frequency and prevalence in the US. The National Council on Elder Abuse (NCEA) cites various studies indicating that neglect is in the top two forms of misconduct in nursing homes, and some experts put it at the number one spot. Assisted living facilities are required to comply with certain standards under federal and Florida standards, so the failure to meet the requirements is considered nursing home lack of care.
Abuse and neglect are unacceptable at assisted living centers and long-term care facilities, but Florida law provides you with remedies if your loved one suffered mistreatment. Our team at Kohn Law can explain your options and assist with seeking justice, so please contact us to schedule a free consultation with a Bradenton nursing home lack of care attorney. You can also read on for some general information about the legal concepts.
Legal Issues Behind Lack of Care
The basic concept behind lack of care in the nursing home environment is negligence, which is the failure to meet standards set by law or through a contract with the facility. Instead of intentional misconduct, lack of care refers to carelessness or recklessness. Some examples of assisted living neglect include:
- Failure to keep common areas and resident rooms clean and sanitary;
- Mishandling the resident, such as when moving in and out of bed;
- Mistakes with medications;
- Not implementing appropriate security measures, including locked doors, a key entry system, sufficient lighting;
- Failing to ensure proper staffing levels, especially for licensed practical nurses, skilled nursing personnel, and other medical professionals as appropriate for the assisted living center’s level of care;
- Negligence in hiring staff; and
- Not addressing the resident’s personal hygiene and related needs to prevent infection and bedsores.
Protect Your Family Member from Nursing Home Misconduct
Lack of care can cause just as serious harm as physical abuse, so it is important to take action on behalf of your loved one when you suspect neglect. At Kohn Law, our Bradenton nursing home lack of care lawyers will assist with the legal process for recovering compensation. Our initial tasks involve investigations and attempting to reach a settlement with the assisted living facility. If the organization refuses to agree to a fair amount, we will take your case to court to obtain monetary damages for your loved one’s losses. It is our goal to recover:
- Medical costs for treating neglect-related injuries;
- Pain and suffering;
- Emotional distress; and
- Many other types of compensation, depending on your case.
Set Up a Consultation with a Bradenton Nursing Home Lack of Care Attorney
For more information on your rights and remedies, please contact Kohn Law right away to set up a no-cost case evaluation with one of our Bradenton nursing home abuse lawyers. After reviewing your circumstances, we can assist with getting your loved one to safety and advise you on the legal process for recovering compensation.